Product categories are the primary way to group products with similar features. You can also add subcategories if desired.
For example, if you sell clothing, you might have “t-shirts”, “hoodies” and “pants” as categories.
How to add/edit product categories
Categories are managed from the Products > Categories screen.
Similar to categories on your posts in WordPress, you can add, delete, and edit product categories.
- Add a Name.
- Add a Slug (optional); this is the URL-friendly version of the name.
- Choose a Parent if this is a subcategory.
- Enter a Description (optional); some themes display this.
- Choose the Display type. Decide what is shown on the category’s landing page. “Standard” uses your theme’s default. “Subcategories” will display only the subcategories. “Products” only displays products. “Both” will display subcategories and products below that.
- Upload/Add Image (optional); Some themes have pages where product category images are displayed, so this is a good idea.Storefront by default displays product category images on the homepage template.